Monday, May 20, 2013

Cutting Work

Today worked out to be a gorgeous day, so I split a little early (after flaking on commuting on my bike today) to get out for a little ride around the harbor.  But I haven't been totally flaking, I have been putting in a lot of miles on the city bike.   Last weekend I took it down to DC for the Komen Global Race for the Cure.  We do sound for three separate sites (Main Start, Runners Start, and Runners Finish) scattered around the monument grounds.   It was a somewhat rainy day, but the event went off without any drama.   Here is the long shot from the back of the area at the Washington Monument Grounds, the construction cranes are building the new Smithsonian Museum of African American History on the other side of 15th Street.


And here is Brian's (my engineer for this event) view from the Front of House Tent.


I also had a couple of other events going on at the same time that day, an Addidas basketball event at the Washington Kastles arena, and the Childrens Medical Center Gala at the National Building Museum, so I used the bike to schlep around the various sites all day.

This weekend the plan was to ride on Saturday and Sunday, but then on Saturday work then rain intervened.  Sunday I was planning on riding out to Columbia to spectate and cheer Kathleen at the Columbia Triathlon, but it was pretty crappy, rainy, misty out so I opted to drive out instead.   I did get this shot of Kathleen after the race, she had had a chance to make use of a porta-potty to clean up and change already.   She did the race in 3:02:47 about 10 minutes faster than last year.


We came back to the house and then went on the city bikes down to the Red Star for a celebratory breakfast, then a quick trip through The Sound Garden for new tunes.   After that we rode back up to Patterson Park to spectate at the Bike Jam which is our annual professional road race right here in B'more.   It stayed dry and the park is all green and fresh, it made for a nice hanging out.  Here is the breakaway forming on the Pro Men's race, first these three guys.


Then three more trying to bridge up to the first three.


Then the full peloton chasing them down.


These guys fly around the loop, I am guestimating that the pack speed was easily 25-28 MPH for the whole race, with them really turning it on for the final sprint.

So anyhow, back around to today.   I rode around the Inner Harbor to Federal Hill and shot this panorama from Federal Hill Park.  I would crop it together, but since I am limited to 800 pixels wide it would have been pretty small, so you will just have to use your imagination.



It's all going on, volleyball, sunshine, humidity :).   I also spotted this guy hanging out, I think he may have been fresh from his cocoon, he seemed to be drying his wings in the sun.


Then it was a quick loop around through Federal Hill and Locust Point before heading back to the house for dinner and catching up on the Giro d'Italia (No spoilers, we are a few days behind).

No comments:

Post a Comment