Saturday, June 2, 2012

Komen Global Race for the Cure

It has been crazy busy with work the past few weeks, hence the lack of posts here.  But today was different, I provide the audio support for the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure in Washington DC, and since this year's site was stretched all over the mall due to construction, I took the mountain bike down to get around.  I really enjoy this event, it's a good cause and the participants all seem to have a great time.  The start line site was at the Washington Monument Grounds, here is the crude paste up panorama I did from the top of the hill that the monument sits on.  For reference that stretches about 1 city block from the stage (on the right of the picture) to the start line (on the left), or about 750' or so.
Here is the view from just beyond the walkers start line, that postage stamp sized object at the center is the stage.
This is Suzy running the show, she was my lead engineer for this site, and has been doing this for the past 3 years for me.
Once they got the runners started I headed over to the finish line at 4th & Independence Ave, where the announcers were waiting for the runners to start coming in, the fastest male did a 15:22 5K, the fastest female was about 2 minutes behind. The folks in the little booth to the left acknowledge the runners/walkers and groups coming in.
That was moving right along, so I headed over to the entertainment stage just past the finish and around the corner in the middle of the block on 3rd street where Colbie Dee was entertaining the participants, and they had the awards presentations from here as well.
Everything went really well, despite the utter deluge of rain the night before, thanks to plastic and tarps. When everything there was wrapping up I racked the bike on the car, and headed over to the Washington Hilton & Towers to visit my guys who were doing the Bark Ball for the Washington Humane Society. Not nearly as exciting, but still a good cause.
I met up with my client there, and we discussed some other upcoming projects before heading home to get a nap in.

No comments:

Post a Comment