Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dreary

I went out today to get another ride in to start 2011. Kathleen was going to go with me, but this morning she started coming down with a cold. So off I went into the gray day. My legs felt like noodles for most of the ride, probably a result of yesterdays sprint around the park workout. I rode out to Fort McHenry, and since it was open, I got my first look at the new visitors center.
Right across from it and next to the remains of the old visitors center is this statue of General Armistead who was the commander of the fort during the 1814 bombardment.
Also on the grounds is this statue of Orpheus, the greek mythological hero of music and poetry. It is there to honor Francis Scott Key (The Star Spangled Banner was written in Baltimore during the bombardment) and the soldiers and sailors who defended the fort during the War of 1812.
After my little impromptu tour of the fort, I headed back towards Federal Hill. On my way back I spotted the Princess Cruise Ship at the dock.
Possibly still here due to this. I continued on towards the stadium and, of course being the huge Ravens fan I am, I didn't know that it was game day. Part of the Gwynns Falls Trail snakes around the parking lots for the stadiums, and this was the scene.
The trash pile intrigued me enough to take a spin through one the parking lot right next to the stadium, so here is a brief look at the stuff people buy and bring to the game.


That is the tailgater grill made by Margaritaville, it attaches to your hitch (I only know this because there was another one with it's cover on three cars over).
Then I got on my way out to Washington Boulevard where in my continuing series of churches here is a storefront one, but I thought done very nicely.
A little further up the way I spotted this mural, I hadn't noticed it on previous trips up and down this road.
After that I noodled around Camden Yards a little bit, and then cranked down Pratt Street towards home, the garmin says my top speed for that mile (and the ride) was 27.1 and I was going 20+ the whole mile, using the cars to pace makes going faster easier than without, also I think that it is slightly downhill there, which helps the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment